- Local specialty training
- Interdeanery transfer
- Maximum Training Capacity (MTC)
- Training Programme Directors
Deaneries are in charge of all medical training in a demarcated geographical area. The delivery of training is overseen by a Training Programme Director.
Training placements will usually be within one deanery but may be across deaneries in special circumstances. Please see the Out of Programme page for further details.
In each region in England there are one or more postgraduate deans who, with their regional postgraduate medical education committees, oversee training in all medical specialties in their locality. Similar arrangements apply in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.
The local specialty training committees for public health, like those for other specialties, are sub-committees of the local postgraduate medical education committee
- the TPD/Head of School;
- the postgraduate dean;
- the local Faculty Adviser;
- a representative of local university departments of public health;
- trainers from NHS departments of public health;
The committees are the responsibility of the postgraduate medical dean, are independent of employing authorities and are usually chaired by the local Faculty Adviser.
They co-ordinate training and continuing education in public health at all levels within their locality as well as monitoring standards of training programmes and the progress of individual trainees.
Training Programme Directors are appointed in open competition by the deans and represent the deans.
Faculty Advisers are appointed by FPH through an election process, work closely with Training Programme Directors and have a complimentary role in the implementation of the training programme.
Such transfers are not automatic, but at the discretion of the deans involved. Something in the personal circumstances of the applicant must have changed substantially since employment was first taken up. Please refer to the Lead Dean for Public Health for more information.
Upon transfer, trainees should complete the Training Programme Feedback Form and return the completed form as directed by their Training Programme Director. Further information about the use of the forms can be found in the Guidance on Use.
Further information can be found on the Training Policies page.
The training programme director (TPD) is appointed by a dean and has a key role in managing the specialty training programme across a geographical area. The fundamental role is that of co-ordinator and communicator between registrars, the Postgraduate Deans, the local Public Health Specialty School and the Faculty of Public Health (FPH).
The key roles and responsibilities of a TPD include:
- Administration and management of the training programme(s) on behalf of the Postgraduate Dean.
- Participation in the recruitment and appointment process.
- An initial assessment of the Specialty Registrar's learning needs and the most appropriate placements for each registrar at the start of and throughout training.
- Induction into public health training in general.
- Overseeing the delivery of the training.
- Assisting in the appointment, training and updating of educational supervisors.
- Monitoring and inspection of training placements.
Individuals with queries relating to possible applications and/or eligibility for training should direct their query to a programme of likely first choice. Individuals are strongly discouraged from sending multiple similar queries to several programmes in order to avoid duplication of work for programme directors.
Defence Medical Services
- Dr Ruth Howlett-Shipley MFPH
- Consultant in Public Health Medicine and Communicable Disease Control - Royal Navy
- Medical Division
- Leach Building
- Whale Island
- PO2 8DX
- Tel: 02392685501
- Caroline Hird
- Health Education East Midlands
- 1 Mere Way
- Ruddington Fields Business Park
- NG11 6JS
East of England
- Dr Sara Godward
- Milton Keynes Council
- Tel: 01908 254 354
- Augustine Pereira
- Norfolk County Council
London/Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Please address general recruitment enquiries in the first instance to Dr Chapple:-
- Dr Jean Chapple FFPH
- Public health consultant and training programme director SW London, Surrey & Sussex
- Dr Jane Scarlett MRCGP FFPH
- Consultant in Public Health
PH Commissioning Team, NHSE London
4th Floor Southside
105 Victoria Street
- Dr Yvonne Young FFPH
Consultant in Communicable Disease Control
South West London Health Protection Team Public Health England
Floor 3C, Skipton House
80 London Road
London SE1 6LH
- David P Landes
- Lead Training Programme Director
- Public Health England
- Kirkstone Villa
- Lanchester Road Hospital
- Lanchester Road
- Tel: 0191 371 3666
- Dr Denise O'Hagan
- Public Health Agency
- Ormeau Avenue Unit
- 18 Ormeau Ave
- BT2 8HS
- Tel: +44 28 9040 0000
- Dr Richard Jarvis
- Cheshire & Merseyside Health Protection Team
- Rail House, Floor 5
- Lord Nelson Street
- L1 1JF
- Tel: 0844 225 1295 (choose option 1 twice)
- Further information at the Mersey Deanery website
- Dr Premila Webster MFPH
- Consultant in Public Health
- Department of Public Health
- University of Oxford
- Old Road Campus
- OX3 7LF
- Tel: 01865 289249
- Fax: 01865 226720
- Further information at the Oxford School of Public Health website
- Dr Ellie Hothersall FFPH
- Public Health Directorate
- DD3 8EA
- Tel: 01382425683 or 01382383812
- Dr Ayoola Oyinloye FFPH
- Training Programme Co-ordinator
South West Public Health Training Programme
Health Education South West
Severn Postgraduate Medical Education
Vantage Business Park
Old Gloucestershire Road
Bristol BS16 1GW
Tel: 01454 252706
- Dr Brendan Mason FFPH
- Consultant Epidemiologist
- Public Health Wales
- The Temple of Peace and Health
- Cathays Park
- CF10 3NW
- Tel: 029 2040 2471
- Dr Julie Parkes
- University of Southampton
- Southampton General Hospital
- Mailpoint 801
- South Academic Block
- Tremona Road
- SO16 6YD
- Tel: 02380 796938
- Dr Irfan Ghani
- Lead TPD – Public Health, Health Education West Midlands
Address: St Chads Court | 213 Hagley Road | Edgbaston | Birmingham | B16 9RG
Phone number: 0121 695 2552
- Dr Christopher Chiswell
- Consultant in Public Health Medicine
Birmingham Children’s Hospital
T: 0121 333 9999 ext 8573
- Dr Annette Wood
- University of Birmingham & PHE
Phone number 0121 414 7846 (uni) + 07918336061 (PHE)
Yorkshire and the Humber
- Ms Val Barker MSc
- Head of School of Public Health
Yorkshire and the Humber Postgraduate Deanery
Willow Terrace Road
University of Leeds
- Leeds LS2 9JT
Tel: 0113 3437816