Please direct queries about possible entry into specialty training to a single programme rather than sending the same query to multiple programmes.
On whether you are suited to a public health career...
- The Faculty of Public Health (FPH) has further information and a list of Faculty advisers who can advise you on the speciality.
On the training programme in your region...
- FPH has further information and a list of training programme directors for the different regions.
On applying to the training programme...
- Medical Specialty Training (England), the entire application process is outlined on the MMC website.
On how specialist training in the UK works...
- Medical Specialty Training (England) - www.mmc.nhs.uk
- Scottish Medical Training - www.mmc.scot.nhs.uk/
- Medical and Dental Training Agency, Northern Ireland - www.nimdta.gov.uk/human-resources/hr-recruitment/568/
Further sources of information...
- General Medical Council - the GMC registers doctors to practise medicine in the UK and ensures proper standards in the practice of medicine
- UK Public Health Register - an independent regulator for public health professionals in the UK
- East Midlands Healthcare Workforce Deanery, East Midlands are co-ordinating applications on behalf of Wales and all English programmes but individual programme websites have locally relevant information
- Wales Deanery
- Health Careers includes information about more than 350 roles in health (including public health), real-life stories and videos, a course-finder, plus news and events. It is for those of any age thinking about a career in health, and those who've already started a career in health and are thinking about their next step.
Public health stories...
- How do I know it's for me? (BMJ 17 Feb 2007)
- I have an embarrassing secret (BMJ 13 Feb 2008)
- Careers in... public health (BMJ 18 Nov 2009)
- What is Public Health? - Health Education Essex
- Public Health is Everyone's Business - Learning for Public Health West Midlands