Buddy scheme for new consultants
We launched a buddy scheme for new consultants, who are members of the Faculty, in 2014. The aim of the scheme is to give newly appointed consultants a friendly ear to help them through those tricky first few months in their new role. The buddy scheme helps to promote a sharing environment and can contribute to the overall quality of staff performance and independent thinking. Our buddies are experienced Fellows and Members of the Faculty who are in senior positions in public health.
We are pleased to say that we have appointed many knowledgeable and accomplished buddies across the country, and many new consultants have benefited from their skills and support.
As a buddy scheme participant, new consultants can expect to:
- Receive a minimum of two one-hour sessions, the first preferably face-to-face, although Skype is also encouraged.
- Get flexible and individually-tailored support from their buddy, enabling them to define specific, achievable goals on which to focus.
- Create a safe haven to explore professional development, work-based issues and share experiences.
- Better understand your organisation's culture and unspoken rules, both of which can be critical for success.
We encourage new consultants who have recently taken up post to apply. We will try to match you with a buddy geographically close to you but this may not always be possible.
The Faculty buddy can expect to:
- Gain a new perspective on your own performance and approach to work.
- Work with different issues, often leading to vital insights into your own working situation.
- Expand your network of colleagues and re-energise your career.
Would you like to become a buddy and support a new consultant?
By volunteering to become a buddy, you would help the newly qualified public health consultant by providing guidance and experience.
The scheme is informal and requires no previous experience. We are always looking to recruit new buddies both in the UK and internationally. Please complete buddy information form and return it to the Faculty office.
If you are interested in becoming a buddy or you are a new consultant please contact Renja Salonen at email@example.com