FPH global health strategy 2015-2019
In June 2015, the Faculty of Public Health launched its global health strategy for the next five years. The strategic aim is to actively contribute to the improvement of global public health through the organised efforts of FPH members.
The strategy sets out four goals:
• Be a leader in advocating for ‘Better Health for All’
• Support high standards of public health training, examination and regulation globally
• Support the development of the global public health workforce, including building the capacity of the UK public health workforce to engage in global health
• Share and generate knowledge, evidence and information to support global public health action
FPH Global Health Committee
The Global Health Committee is a standing committee of the Board and is chaired by Professor Neil Squires, the Faculty’s International Registrar and also Director of Global Health at Public Health England. The committee is leading on delivery of the global health strategy, supported by the Faculty’s global health special interest groups.
Its primary objectives for 2018 are:
• Building public health workforce capacity through development of institutional partnerships and training
• Development of a suite of training materials for use in a range of settings
• Expansion of capacity to provide remote education and training
• Expansion of the Faculty’s international membership, through development of innovative approaches to engaging the international public health community
Further information about the work of the Global Health Committee is available from Caroline Wren, secretary to the committee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Global health special interest groups
FPH has a number of country, regional and topic-based special interest groups (SIGs) which actively support delivery of the global health strategy:
- India & Related Countries
- Global Violence Prevention
- Addressing Non-communicable Diseases in Low and Middle Income Countries
- Women in Global Health
Click here for further details about the SIGs. Membership of the SIGs is open to all FPH members and associates.
FPH international membership
About 12% of the Faculty’s members live or work overseas in over 60 different countries. The Faculty has a range of membership categories which are open to individuals overseas, including international practitioner membership.
Full details of the different categories, including the benefits of membership and subscription rates can be found at membership.
FPH international organisational links
FPH is a member of the following organisations:
• European Public Health Association - EUPHA is an umbrella organisation for public health associations and institutes in Europe. The Faculty’s membership of EUPHA offers a range of benefits for its own members, including free online subscription to the European Journal of Public Health, discounted registration fees for all European Public Health conferences and the opportunity to participate in all EUPHA activities.
• Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region – ASPHER is the key independent European organisation dedicated to strengthening the role of public health by improving education and training of public health professionals for both practice and research.
• World Federation of Public Health Associations – WFPHA is an international, non-governmental organisation composed over 100 national public health associations and representing around five million public health professionals worldwide. Its mission is to promote and protect global public health.